Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lets all move to Sweden

I was having a debate with an American recently about who has better music industry, the UK or the US. I argued that all of the best indie and rock in the last few years has come from the UK. Just think of all the recent buzz bands from the UK that have got fans in a frenzy. America still has a long way to go to catch up with British music at the moment. We agreed to disagree on the matter until I said "of course I would put Sweden in second ahead of the US". It was a rash statement I know. I don't even really believe it; but it annoyed an American so it was worth saying!

There is a lot of good music coming out of Sweden at the moment though. Hello Saferide, I'm From Barcelona, Suburban Kids With Biblical Names, Love Is All and The Sounds, just to name a few. My latest Swedish pet is David And The Citizens. It's happy pop rock in places and melancholy in others. It sounds like Bright Eyes would if he ever woke up and decided to take a happy pill! I won't say too much more as I have a load of work to be getting on with. Have a listen and enjoy.



Above: Graycoated Morning
Below: New Direction



Or listen to some mp3s

Download A Heart & a Hand & the Love for a Band - Buy

Download Are You In My Blood? - Buy

David & The Citizens Myspace

3 comments:

Stefan said...

Ok, I will admit that the use of the word 'all' was a big overstatement and clearly not true. However, I do stand by my opinion that the UK music scene is better than the US one at the moment.

I'm not just saying this because I'm from the UK. I will admit that the US was probably better than the UK during the period after brit-pop died out. However, I think the UK is back on track now, with a number of Cities (e.g. London, Sheffield etc) churning out loads of excellent bands in the last year or two

Anonymous said...

Come on now, lets think about this proportionally - Britain is tiny and churning out just as many quality bands as the US seems to be right now. Therefore, we win :]

When I started reading this post I was desperate to get to the end so I could bring up David & The Citizens but you beat me to it! And now I look like a bandwagon jumper... Damn you.

Swedish music has had such a surge of interest in the last few years for good reason (my favourite Swedish band probably = Jeniferever) For anyone interested in what this cold and cool country had to offers check out 'Svenskt' - a compilation of Swedish bands released last year on Big Scary Monsters (myspace addresses are obvious!)
Also London people should seek out the Tack! Tack! Tack! clubnights which promote Swedish music in the capital...

cx :]

Anonymous said...

NEWS FLASH...

Couple of Swedish bands coming over in the next few weeks and looking for gigs!
Once We Were and Scraps Of Tape - check them out at the obvious myspace addresses...
Gigs needed for 8th, 9th, 13th and 14th April - contact kev@bsmrocks.com

seriously, how scene are we?! :]
cx