Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I wish I was a lesbian so I could fall in love with you

I have a soft spot for girls with guitars, and voices that make you melt. Often these artists lack musical substance and are guilty pleasures in my music collection. However, on this occasion I feel justified in my love for Hello Saferide. Following in the footsteps of ‘I’m From Barcelona’, this band are the latest twee exports from Sweden. So what makes this charmingly upbeat indie-pop band so different from the rest?

Download San Francisco Buy
Download Highschool Stalker Buy
Download Valentine Buy

Every song exhibits clever observations on love and life. The lyrical content of the songs is at times funny, sometimes in a subtly dark way. There is also a serious side though, with the comedy often fronting an emotionally explicit narrative on relationships. Annika Norlin certainly isn't afraid of sharing her vulnerabilities and insecurities with the audience, as seen in the video for ‘2006’. Below is the short for ‘My Best Friend’, a video which is as quaint as the band themselves.



You can catch the band in the UK on the following dates.

May 14: The Monto/Water Rats, London. Also playing: Maia Hirasawa.
May 15: The Monto/Water Rats, London. Also playing: Maia Hirasawa.
May 17: The Great Escape Festival, Brighton.

Hello Saferide Myspace

No comments: