Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Anyone up for a good sonic read?

I hate genre labelling. I'm not very good at defining them or knowing which bands fit in where. (Guess I'll never work for NME then. Sigh.) Lets face it, all music is open to interpretation - thats what this site is all about. And so I offer up for your consideration, the genre defying GoodBooks.

Part indie, part emo, part pop, this is a band that lets you find in its music whatever you're looking for. For me its different everytime. So far its mostly been about the funk of 'Start/Stop' which includes some lovely dirty bass lines that make me want to dance every single time. However recently I have been fortunate enough to hear a few sample tracks from the forthcoming debut album, "Control" (you heard it here first kids!) and I have a new obsession, namely 'Beautiful To Watch'. Its just awesome. I've heard this track before on early recordings and at gigs and its never really blown me away. The album recording however makes it sound MASSIVE. The layers of this track build gradually and by the time the drums come crashing in, its taken you over. Completely. And the rest of the tracks work similarly, showcasing the considerable talent of each member, talent that is glaringly obvious during GoodBooks live shows. First time I saw them, all four members stepped away from their instruments and mics, and started the next song singing acapella, in harmonies and then in rounds. Brilliant.

However, what I love about this band more than anything is that they seem to appeal to such a variety of people. Pretty much everyone I've played tracks to have loved them. (Currently playing the CD at work and people are looking confused and involuntarily exclaiming 'I love this... Why do I love this?') So do yourself a favour and check them out. I can almost guarantee you'll like at least one song, no matter what you're looking for. Think I'm wrong? Think I'm right? Hit the comment button below. But in my opinion, GoodBooks are going to be best sellers for sure...



The Illness, above, was out yesterday | Buy

Website
Myspace

Content by Cerian.

No comments: